Terms & Conditions
Please don’t be scared off by these terms and conditions. They are here as a guide to give you the best experience possible. I’ve tried to make them clear and straightforward, but if you’ve got any questions, please contact me.
Book cover design services
- Fees: I design ebook and print book covers for a fee, 50% of which is paid when you place the order. This deposit is non-refundable.
- Ebook covers: You are paying for the design of one complete ebook cover design, provided as a high-resolution jpeg file to use for your ebook. There are also options available to add print and audio covers, as well as social media banners and more.
- Print covers: You are paying for the design of one complete paperback print cover, provided as a high-resolution print-ready PDF file, and laid out according to one template provided by CreateSpace, Ingram Spark or whatever printing company you are using.
- We’ll start with the ebook version first, or the front cover. Expect to hear from me via email within 72 hours of payment to go over your information and confirm that I have a clear idea of what you’re looking for.
- Mock-ups: I’ll deliver at least two mockups to you within 2 weeks. If you don’t like either, we can work together on a third one.
- Fine Tuning: We’ll pick your favorite mockup, then fine tune the vision together until we get it right.
- Revisions: Revisions are unlimited within reason. Ten changes is fine, one hundred is not. Some covers do take more work than others, so I don’t like to set a numeric amount. We’ll use common sense to guide us here.
- Finals: Once we’re in agreement on the final version, the final half of your payment will be required before you receive the files.
Approval and Licensing
- Once the final cover is approved, I’ll send you an invoice for any remaining fees owed. (If you’ve also purchased a print cover otherwise, I’ll send it once that is done.)
- Once everything is paid, I’ll send you the final high-res ebook cover, as well as any additional files you may have ordered upfront.
- You are granted the exclusive license to use the final cover design artwork for your ebook cover and any associated marketing materials. The cover design is not to be altered in any way without my approval. If you need additional alterations or add-ons, just ask. I’m here to help you.
- You are paying for the rights to use the final cover. This does not give you rights to any of the earlier drafts in any way whatsoever.
- Once you approve a cover, you agree that you are satisfied with it as it is. Please make sure it’s what you want. If you have a change of heart later down the road, I will be happy to alter or redo your cover for a reasonable charge. I only state this here to safeguard against those who might abuse the system.
If you’re also purchasing a print cover:
Once the eBook cover/front cover is approved, we’ll work on the print/paperback cover. This will be made up of the already approved eBook cover (with minor changes, if necessary for printing), as well as the design of a spine and back cover. I’ll need the following information to get started:
- The final trim size
- The final page count
- Any text and other information you want on the back cover
- The printer you are using (usually CreateSpace, Ingram Spark or Lightning Source)
- Paper color and type of paper used (some have different thicknesses)
- If you are printing with Ingram Spark or Lightning Source, I’ll need your ISBN.
- A template from you printer if you are not using CreateSpace, Ingram Spark or Lightning Source.
- I need the final details above, not estimates. They affect the size of the spine as well as things that go into the print version.
- I will send one print cover draft based on the above information, and will make reasonable changes until you are happy. I want you to be happy!
- Once the print cover is approved, I will send you an invoice for any outstanding fees, and once paid, I’ll send the final high-resolution print ready file in the form of a CMYK PDF.
- You will be responsible for distributing this print ready file to your printer and obtaining a printed proof of your final print cover.
- Once you approve the final cover, you’re agreeing that you are satisfied with it as it is. But as always, if something changes, let me know. I’m want to help you, not hurt you.
Cancellation: If, after three mock-ups, you’re still not happy, you may cancel the project, but your initial deposit is non-refundable.It is my goal to keep things from ever reaching this stage. I want you to have a cover you love, and I want happy customers. I have to add this here for the occasional impossible one.
Correspondence: I’m happy to correspond with you via email, Facebook messenger, or phone if needed. I’m flexible, but keep in mind things put in writing are easier to keep track of for everyone.
Alterations: If you need a cover I made for you reworked, refreshed or updated, I’ll be happy to do that for a reasonable fee (usually for under $100 depending on the work involved.) We can even use the original characters and tweak them, update them, etc. Just use the contact form to get in touch with me any time and let me know what you need.